*Hey there! Just a heads-up. ExtraordinaryReviews may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page at no additional cost to you.
When most people think about what is important in their home, they tend to focus on the kitchen, the master bedroom, and the curb appeal. Sometimes the bathroom makes the top 3 list of what new homebuyers check out or owners plan to renovate, but they tend to look at it as a whole.
Rarely do you hear someone get excited about buying a new toilet. But, if you think about it they should. A quality toilet provides comfort, hygiene, and can even add to the overall décor of your bathroom.
Plus, by going for quality up front, you can save money over the long haul.
In this guide, we will be providing you with details that you need to know and various options to explore. We will also provide you with some reviews and feedbacks from past buyers and we hope that all this information will be enough to provide you with insight on how to go get the best toilet brands.
What to Look for When Shopping for a New Toilet
Before getting into some of the specific models, what are the essential things that you have to pay attention to when shopping for the best toilet? Below are some key points to keep in mind during your search.
The Price of the Toilet
The cost of toilets runs the gambit. You can find very low cost budget models all the way up to very expensive premium ones with all the bells and whistles. Before you can settle on what's the best choice for you, it's a good idea to have a budget in mind.
When setting your budget, don't forget that you might need to pay for help with installation if you aren't planning on doing that yourself. That means you need to factor that cost in as well.
The Quality of the Product
While your budget is important because you can't spend more than you have, the next most important factor is how you plan on measuring quality. Are you only interested in big name brands or are you willing to go with a less known manufacturer?
It may be tempting to try and get the lowest price you can find, but as you have probably experienced before, very cheap products tend to carry their respective low prices for a reason. That doesn't mean you need to look outside of you budget if your budget is reasonable. It just means that you should take quality into consideration along with your budget. After all, this toilet or toilets may be in your home for many years to come.
No matter the product that you want to buy, make sure that the manufacturer offered include a fair warranty. Even the highest quality products have outliers that fail to live up to their expectations.
All of the top rated toilet manufacturers offer a substantial warranty on their products. It shows they trust their design and productions, and they want you the consumer to feel safe with making a purchase from them.
Types of Toilets
When shopping for your new toilet, you'll likely stumble upon a variety of different types. There are so many types available it may catch you off guard as most of us don't realize all the small differences from one toilet to another.
Some of the differences might be with the shape of the toilet, the lid, or the flushing system. The bowl design may also be different. For example there are standard round bowl and their are elongated bowls.
Some of the key differences you'll have to choose between are -
- Do you want a one-piece or a two-piece toilet design?
- Do you wanted a gravity fed toilet of a pressure assist model?
- Do you want a toilet that uses a handle/lever to flush or a push button model?
- What color is right for your bathroom?
- Will you consider an eco-flushing low water usage model?
When you work out the basics of what's most important to you, you'll have a much better direction on what type of toilet will meet your needs.
Reviews of Our Top Picks
There are no shortage of different toilets models out there, and finding the right one can be a frustrating endeavor. Below are what we feel are five of the best toilets to but that are currently on the market. We took a look at their price, quality, features, warranties, and more to make these picks.
These aren't the top five most luxurious models, as that would completely ignore what is considered a reasonable budget for most shoppers.
There should be one that fits your needs from this short list, but if not, check out the rest of the reviews on this site and hopefully you find that perfect fit.
TOTO UltraMax II
This TOTO model #MS604114CEFG is generally accepted as one of the top rated toilets available in the market now. With a very sleek design, it looks good in almost any restroom or bathroom you install it in.
The innovation behind the UltraMax II shows why TOTO is so widely respected around the globe. It really is well designed making the most of both function and form.
For example, while at first glance it appears to have the same standard shape as most common two-piece toilets, it's actually a one-piece design mimicking traditional ones. Aside from the cleaner appearance, the real bonus to using this type of manufacturing is that when you remove the gap that is in-between the tank and the bowl, you can eliminate the hiding places for both debris and bacteria. Plus, you don't have to worry about leaks from the bolts or the gaskets.
Here are some more highlights of the UltraMax II:
- Incredibly strong flush due to utilizing TOTO's Tornado flushing system, which is a double jet systems that forces water around the bowl
- Easy to keep clean as the TOTO CeFiONtect glaze acts as a shield for the ceramic underneath along with a design that doesn't have many hidden yet open areas
- The toilet comes complete with a SoftClose seat, so not additional purchase is necessary
- The UltraMax II is ADA compliant (great for offices and public restrooms), meets Universal Height standards, is WaterSense certified, and is CALGreen compliant
- TOTO offers a 1-year warranty on all of its plumbing products, so you can feel safe you aren't purchasing something that will fall apart right after you install it
You cannot really go wrong with this model. It comes from a trusted brand, and it's a very good choice for residential or commercial use. It's a little on the pricy side, but when you take the fact that it can save you money on your water bill due to having a very low GPF (1.28), it includes the toilet seat, and you are buying from a trusted manufacturer meaning it's pretty safe to assume you'll have this for awhile, it's much more reasonable.
If this fits within your budget, we feel it's a must choose.
WoodBridge is a much newer player in the premium toilet market than TOTO. But, that doesn't mean they don't have some awesome options. One of their top models, and one of our top choices, is the one-piece T-0001.
If the number one priority for your new toilet is something that has a modern appearance, than the T-0001 is for you. It looks absolutely tremendous and in no way can it be mistaken as a toilet from the 1960's.
It uses a very sleek one-piece design, and its Pure White color makes this toilet look as clean as possible. And, it's not just for the sake appearance. It's as easy to clean as it looks since there are no difficult nooks to try and get into or corners that will hide dirt.
Here are some more highlights of the WoodBridge T-0001:
- Utilizes a dual-flush option (1 .0 GPF or 1.6 GPF) to help save on water usage matching a total usage similar to other WaterSense certified models
- Known for having a very quiet flush without sacrificing flushing power
- Includes a soft closing seat with a stainless steel hinge so not additional purchase is needed
- Adheres to generally accepted Comfort Height design specifications
- WoodBridge offers a 5-year warranty on the basin and a 1-year warranty on both the flushing apparatus and the seat that is included
It's rare for a lesser known brand to make its way onto a best of the best list, so the fact this model is here should speak volumes. But, besides that, it is extremely comparable to the above TOTO model at a price point that's a fraction of the cost. If you are working with a leaner budget but want something closer to what a premium model offers in terms of quality, you have found the right toilet.
The Drake, model #CST744SL, is everything you should demand in a quality toilet that fits most budgets. It offers a price point good for almost all scenarios: homeowners, contractors, business owners, and public restrooms.
It uses a standard two-piece design, but instead of a round bowl it's made with a more modern and comfortable elongated one. For even more comfort it adheres to Universal Height specifications.
And, it's not just a well built nice looking model. The Drake is fairly water efficient too, using just 1.6 gallons per flush. That's more that the extremely water efficient models that use less than 1.3GPF, but it's still much less than many other models that use 3 gallons or more. Considering the price point of this model, that's pretty amazing.
Here are some more highlights of the TOTO Drake:
- Utilizes TOTO's G-Max flushing system, which means it uses a wider flush valve (125% larger than standard valves)
- The Drake is ADA compliant so you can you it for both residential or professional needs
- Available in multiple color options such as cotton white, colonial white, bone, beige, and ebony
- Straight forward installation process as there's nothing complicated or out of the ordinary to deal with
- Comes with TOTO's limited 1-year warranty
This toiler is perfect for anyone looking for something that covers all the basics and is from a top-tier manufacturer. It's very fairly priced so it is going to fit almost anyone's budget as long as they are realistic. There aren't any real bells or whistles, but you are going to get a quality reliable toilet.
It's difficult to talk about the best toilets in the market without mentioning at least one model from Kohler. The one that makes this list is Kohler's model #K-3589-0.
The K-3589-0 is part of Kohler's Cimarron series. It's your standard two-piece design that matches Kohler's Comfort Height specifications, which is similar to a Universal Height standard.
It is not in the top 20% of toilets as far as water efficiency is concerned, but it still uses a fairly low amount per flush, at 1.6 gallons (The Kohler 3609 is a similar model that is even more efficient at 1.28 GPF) . It's also delivers a pretty strong flush too due to Kohler's AquaPiston technology that delivers consistent water flow. when compared to more basic designs.
Here are some more highlights of the Kohler K-3589-0:
- Available in both rounded and elongated bowl shapes
- Very easy to transport and install making it a great option for contractors and DIY-minded homeowners
- Available in multiple color options like white, biscuit, almond, sandbar, ice gray, and black
- Surprisingly fast and quiet flush for the water saving it offers
- Kohler offers a one-year limited warranty or normal usage, which is comparable to other big name brands
The K-3589-0 makes out top five due to being a pure bang-for-your-buck play. You get everything you need as far as quality build, water efficiency, comfort, and option all for a very reasonable price point. It's not as fancy as some of the other top models, but the value is undeniable.
American Standard Champion 4
This list wouldn't be complete without including a model from the always popular American Standard. Their Champion 4 is worth taking a look at. Here's why.
In our opinion, if you needed to find a comparison model the the Champion 4, it would be TOTO's UltraMax II, which is often consider one of the best rated toilets out there. They both use a very sleek one-piece design without getting crazy with the ascetics. They both look like an update of toilets from the past, but not like something you'd see in a spacecraft.
This American Standard models isn't just a top pick because of its looks. It has as much in regards to function as it does form, which makes is a great combination of value and quality.
Here are some more highlights of the American Standard Champion 4:
- Manufactured with an elongated bowl and an option between two different heights for maximum user comfort
- Use a fairly low amount of water at 1.6 gallons per flush saving money over the lifespan of the toilet
- Made with Kohler's EverClean surface making keeping it clean as easy as it gets
- Available in multiple color options including white, linen, and bone
- Includes an amazing 10-year limited warranty showing how confident American Standard is in their product
Anytime you find a toilet with a massive decade long warranty, you have to know that it's well made. And, since it's coming from a brand as trusted as American Standard, quality isn't an issue. It's on our shortlist for quality, options, and value.
Shopping for a new toilet isn't always the most exciting of experiences. But, when you think about the various headache's a cheap poorly made toilet can flood your life with, you quickly realize why selecting a quality model is important.
No matter if you're looking for your home, your office, or a public restroom, taking the time to compare several toilets ensure you get the right one for your needs. Take some time to review out top picks above. You won't be disappointed.